The CPC is an essential requirement for anyone applying for a goods vehicle Operator’s Licence or for staff with responsibility for the control of goods vehicles.
The Road Haulage industry has three types of Operator’s Licence.
- Restricted Licence. This allows an operator to carry goods in the course of their own trade or business in the UK or abroad. No CPC holder is required – but background knowledge is essential to meet Operator Licence requirements.
- Standard National Licence. This allows an operator to carry their own goods and goods for other people on a hire or reward basis in the UK. A National CPC holder is required.
- Standard International Licence. This allows an operator to carry their own goods and goods for other people on a hire or reward basis in the UK or abroad. An International CPC holder is required.
Applicants for a Standard Licence must prove that they are professionally competent or that they employ a transport manager who meets the requirements. Persons will be considered professionally competent by passing the examinations for the Certificates of Professional Competence (CPC) conducted by Oxford, Cambridge, RSA (OCR) examinations. The examinations are administered by OCR on behalf of the Department for Transport.
Since December 2011 OCR’s CPC in Road Haulage consists of examinations which test both National and International elements together in one examination.
OCR sets four exams each year; March, June, September and December
HaulMark Transport Training offers courses based on the combined syllabus leading to the OCR examination for CPC in Road Haulage. The examination is in two parts the first being a multiple choice exam and the second being written answers to questions based on a case study scenario given to the candidate at the time of the exam.
HaulMark Transport Training’s course runs for 10 days with a further day for the exams.
CPC IN ROAD HAULAGE SYLLABUS
- Business & Company Law
- Industrial Relations
- Health & Safety
- Commercial Conduct
- Financial Management
- Business Taxation
- KPIs, Work Plans & Organisation Charts
- Operator Licensing
- Planned Preventive Maintenance
- Vehicle Selection
- Electronic Data
- Vehicle Taxation
- Transport Ancillaries & Contracts Of Carriage
- Vehicle Costing
- Plating & Testing
- Fleet Inspections & Enforcement
- Drivers Hours – Basic Requirements
- Drivers Hours – Records
- Safe Loading Of Vehicles & Transit Of Goods
- Weights & Dimensions Of Vehicles And Loads
- Driver Licensing
- Speed Limits & Traffic Regulations
- Traffic Accident Procedure
- Permits & Methods Of Operating
- Customs Transit Systems
- Incoterms & Frontier Crossings
- International Transport Documents
Each one of these subjects generates questions which form the multiple choice element of the exam.
Unit R1: 2 Hours. 60 questions worth 60 marks. Pass mark required 42 (70%)
A number of these subjects generate questions for the case study element of the exam.
Unit R2: 2¼ Hours. Between 5 and 8 questions worth 60 marks. Pass mark 30 (50%) This is an open book exam element meaning that reference material may be taken in and used during the exam.
An 11 day Monday to Friday (09:00 – 17:00) intensive course including the examination day.
The course is a full multi-media interactive presentation delivered by the tutor and involving exercises, stage tests and mock exams as appropriate. Candidates follow the course from a full set of study notes and presentation notes as the course progresses.
HaulMark Transport Training Services holds courses at their training centre in Leicester.
The price for the CPC in Road Haulage is £1250.00 including exam fees
Included In The Fees
- Full set of bound study notes (also an excellent future reference source)
- All necessary stationery
- Subject by subject course notes
- All examination fees
- All administration fees
- Buffet lunch & light refreshments during course days
- Free parking
Candidates are responsible for providing their own lunch.
The dates for courses in 2020 are:
May 27 – 29 then June 1 – 5 and 10 – 11 with exams on Friday June 12th (cancelled due to Covid 19)
Aug 25 – 28 then Sep 1 – 4 and 09 – 10 with exams on Friday September 11th
Nov 18 – 20 then 23 – 27 and Dec 02 – 03 with exams on Friday December 4th
Booking a Course
Courses should be booked at least 30 days before the start date of the course by means of contacting HaulMark Transport Training Services
Payment should be made at the time of booking.
Upon receipt of the completed booking form and payment, a confirmation of booking will be sent followed by comprehensive course joining instructions.
Please refer to HaulMark Transport Training Services Terms and Conditions available from firstname.lastname@example.org or by post on request from:
HaulMark Transport Training Services, 30 Leicester Road, Billesdon, Leicestershire, LE7 9AQ Tel: 0116 2596503 Mob:07759 128767